The Humane Society of Middletown was founded in 1959 by a handful of people with big hearts and small purses. We are a privately run animal shelter that is funded through the generosity of our supporters and not the Humane Society of the United States.
The shelter is going through momentous changes! We are now a low/no kill facility; no longer will animals be killed simply to make room for new ones. Our dedicated staff works hard every day to ensure that the animals in our care receive the best care that we can afford. We have improved each and every animal’s nutritional and medical needs. Socialization has become another primary goal, so we now have dog walkers and are providing educational opportunities for those who work with our animals.
The mission of the Humane Society of Middletown is to make possible, during their transitional period, a better world for the animals in our charge by providing compassion, food, medical care and shelter. In addition, we are dedicated to educating the community about humane care, promoting the human-animal bond and encouraging adoption.
- Maintain 0% euthanasia for all adoptable animals.
- Improve the health of our animals through proper nutrition and medical services.
- Enlarge our foster home program to alleviate overcrowding and to provide needed special care as well as socialization which will improve the retention rate of adoptions.
- Increase volunteerism and, thereby, promote proper animal care as well as improving the lives of the animals in our care.
- Increase awareness for TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) programs for feral cats.
- Increase substantially the amount of income derived from donations and endowments.
- Create improved partnerships with area municipalities, businesses as well as area shelters/sanctuaries.
- Improve upon our post adoption services to increase the retention rate of adoptions.
Brian A. Keller- Shelter Manager, Facebook Administrator
Marge- Weekend Manager
Britney- Kennel Administrator and Web Manager
Lisa- Kennel Manager
Diana- Euthanasia Technician, Kennel Staff
Betty- Financial Advisor
Jamie- Kennel Staff
Kymm- Kennel Staff
Christine- Kennel Staff
Emil- Kennel Staff
Jaimee- Kennel Staff
Glen- Dog Walker
Jennifer Carley- Membership Coordinator
Debbie- Honorary Staff Member
Our Board of Directors
Our Board of Directors is a group of people dedicated to animal welfare. The position is an unpaid one that requires a can-do attitude and enthusiasm. The Board focuses on setting policy, fundraising and overseeing the financial well-being of the shelter.
The most important role that the Board is working on currently is fundraising. Have an idea that you’d like to initiate and volunteer to put into action?
Call the shelter at (845) 361-1861
Board of Directors
Marlene K. Freehill – President
Roberta Smith – Vice President and Treasurer
Carol M. Lustyik – Corresponding Secretary
Susan M. Thompson – Recording Secretary
Susan I. Wegner
Adrianne L. Dollard
Honorary Board Members
N. Charles Schwabacher
Fred and Katie Hopper
Kimberly M. Vestea
Arthur and Victoria Casey